A Discourse on
World Peace and the Oneness Declaration
DECLARATION OF INTER-DEPENDENCE
We hold these truths to be self-evident:
That all life is interconnected, and endowed by our Creator with certain
inalienable rights and responsibilities,
That among these are presence, compassion, and the pursuit of happiness.
That to secure these rights and responsibilities,
We open our minds and hearts to the needs of others, and our own true needs,
We hear the sound of the living universe in our ears, and add our voices to the song,
We live every moment with awareness of the purity and power of existence.
And for the support of this Declaration, we pledge to each other our love and
For the freedom of the one is the freedom of the all, and the pain of the one is the pain of the all;
The breath of the one is the breath of the all, and the breath of the all is the
breath of God.
– Will Durant 1944—Paraphrased by Melanie Bacon
I declare that:
1. The message We Are All One, interrelated, interconnected and interdependent, with God/Life/One-another, is the one spiritual message that the world has been waiting for to bring about loving and sustainable answers to humanity’s challenges.
2. The world does not have to be the way it is – and that individual people can change it, using the power of spiritual citizenship.
3. Humanity is good and has unlimited potential, and that social transformation starts with personal transformation. I therefore recognize the importance of connecting with my Divine Essence and inner wisdom throughout my life’s journey; allowing the finest and the highest levels of human potential to flourish for the benefit of all.
4. My aspirations support spiritual principles, global ethics and universal values such as respect, justice, peace, dignity, freedom, responsibility and cooperation that underlie this declaration.
5. Human beings need each other to survive on this planet. I recognize that we are all in this together and that community flourishes as we learn about each other and revel in the wonder and beauty of our diversities. I declare that I am playing my part to help to bring about a culture in which we, the peoples of the world, can address our common global concerns in an holistic, positive and transforming way and live together in peace with one another.
6. Oneness contains All of life – also the parts that we regard as the “other”. I realize that wholeness and togetherness can only be experienced through the recognition of the uniqueness, beauty and purpose of all aspects of life and that this recognition starts with my Self.
7. I am part of the emerging consciousness that promotes a spirit of openness, enquiry, connection and relationship with myself and the entire universe and who continues to recognize the wonder, beauty and mystery of it all.
8. I support Global Oneness Day that has been established for all of humanity to come together each year as one human family, to discuss, celebrate and experience Oneness with the Divine, each other and all of life.
9. The time for change is now.